Thursday, January 10, 2008

System Shutdown

08 January 2008. A few hours before noon, the HCC went into offline mode. The On-demand could not function as well. Thinking it was just an ordinary server problem, we went to lunch early. Unfortunately, the same scenario greeted us back from lunch. I check with my HSBC counterparts in Singapore and Indonesia. Singapore was down as well but Indonesia was already back on its feet. I check my accounts. Thank God no deadlines for me today. Somebody forwards Hangaroo and a host of other applications via Lotus Notes. I would save the kangaroo from being hanged several times that day. We took turns at the PCs with Internet access. I suddenly had the time to call my cousin Vanessa and asked how their holidays went. I had to answer calls from cardholders and had to repeatedly apologize to them because we were having technical problems. Everybody was on their seats facing the computer but I think everyone was playing Hangaroo. No matter how we tried to do some work, we could not continue because we were dependent on HCC. Sigh. We suddenly had too much time on our hands. It was a free cut but we were also on house arrest.

At half past five, everyone was in a hurry to get out. Some colleagues and I were on our way to watch National Treasure 2 at the Powerplant Mall. It was a fitting end to an otherwise unproductive day.

No comments: