Thursday, July 3, 2008

CHARGEBACK ROMA IS SIGNING OFF...

Note: This was my farewell message sent on June 30, my last day at the world's local bank.

Finally, I can now sleep. The days leading to my filing for resignation last May 30 up until today were filled with anxiety. First, I was stumped because I did not know what to write in the letter. The next obstacle was how to tell my bosses and later on, the team. I thought about who my successor will be, the turnover of responsibilities, cleaning and clearing my perpetually messy desk and finally, writing my farewell message. As a result, I’ve had pimple after pimple and my skin allergies have become active again. I therefore conclude that resignation is bad for the skin (for mine, at least).

Finally, I don’t have to wake up at 4:30 a.m. Yes, you read that right. I live in Marilao, Bulacan where everything is two hours away (except SM Marilao, of course). To get to work, I have to endure a 5-minute tricycle ride, a 30-minute jeepney ride, a 10-minute taxi ride, a 25-minute MRT ride and lastly, a 15-minute bus ride to the Fort. Exhausting? Not quite. Just imagine the time spent in between each ride, waiting in line with the rest of humanity. That, to me, is more tiring. Try doing that routine again going home and I assure you, it will not always be a pleasant experience. However, like a good soldier, I get to the office at 7:30ish, rain or shine, albeit looking a little harassed. No worries, as I still have time to take a nap, put on makeup or even have a second round of breakfast (the first round is for getting me through the commute). Today, with my resignation, RBS will be saying goodbye to one of its resident early birds.

I will leave HSBC in my attempt to fulfill my dream of seeing the world. My journey will begin in the hot sands of Dubai, where I hope to find a new career path (and perhaps a man..hehehe). I am fortunate to have family who will take care of me while I embark on this adventure.

When I first arrived at the doorsteps of Chargeback three years ago, I knew nothing about the banking industry. Working for two-and-a-half years in a call centre, I was a Senior Workforce Analyst before I joined HSBC. Ask me how many calls the centre was going to receive for the day and I could tell you. Given the forecast, I can determine how many people should be taking calls inorder to “save each half-hour” and ensure that the SLAs are met. Ask me what chargeback is and how long that takes and my face will go blank. I do have a good ear for all sorts of American and British accents and I can adopt them if I have to, but if I will be asked to recompute finance charges or do N531 entries in HUB and HCC, I’ll surely be dead. The call centre environment was very laidback. My perception of a bank was very stiff and formal. I was chatty and cheeky Qdesk Roma. What will I be in HSBC?

I was to learn HCC screens, N531 entries and chargeback reason codes in two weeks. I had to, because my predecessor Joy, was scheduled to move to another department in that span of time. I remember dreading coming to work everyday (the skirts and stockings, which were the prescribed attire then, were not very commuter-friendly and thus added to the stress), my heart jumping every time the phone rang. It was like being quizzed everyday, and I was not exactly sure if I knew the proper answer to the question that the person was asking on the other line. I was a newbie again, and by the end of those two weeks I was ready to give up. Fortunately, three weeks later, another newbie came, and then another, and another. Hooray for new friends!

Those two weeks became three long years of filing chargebacks, attending to the inquiries from anyone and everyone, forming friendships both inside and outside the bank and yes, even performing the much-dreaded N531 entries. I would then like to take this opportunity to thank those who have been part of my journey here in HSBC.

To Kath and Gene who acted as my parents here in Chargeback, thank you for equipping me with the knowledge and skills to survive for the last three years. I appreciate the opportunities you have given me because through them, I was able to discover more about myself. I entered Chargeback as a writer and now I am leaving as a trainer.

To the Chargeback team who treated me like family, thank you for your continued support. You have been a witness to each smile, laughter, tear and even fits of anger and frustration (read: table-pounding moments). I would not have gotten this far without your encouragement.

To Suzette, I am thankful that I have found a kindred spirit in you. The last year was indeed a struggle and I would like you to know that I found comfort in the thought that I will be seeing you in the morning and everything will be more bearable. I have found my strength in you just as you have found your strength in me. Most of what I know about MasterCard, I owe to you. I will miss our conversations, no matter how silly or serious they were. I am truly, truly blessed with your friendship.

To the MRT girls, Macy, Rica and Chum, thank you for making the commute a more enjoyable experience. Thanks to the long queues for the Fort Bus and the MRT, we have become good friends. (Yes, the commute is that loooonnnggg, long enough to form strong friendships.)

To the CFMS team, thank you for keeping me on my toes. I don’t know which is worse, getting a heart attack from the prompts every morning or seeing you in the elevator, the bathroom or the various dining places. Seriously now, I have come to see you as friends, which make work less stressful. Thank you for helping me out during the Citibank error phenomenon. I too, share in your happiness whenever a case is closed. ;)

To the people over at Fin, thanks for patiently entertaining my questions about, you guessed it, N531 entries! :) I admire the work that you put into what you do. Thank you for the encouragement and the new learnings!

To the Premier RMs, oh how we hate lost cards! Haha! I know it is not always easy to explain the procedures and policies to the clients. I appreciate the effort you put into your job.

To Dax and Pete, thank you for further sparking my interest in photography. Your words of encouragement have certainly boosted my confidence in taking pictures.

To my counterparts in Indonesia, Singapore, Brunei and Sri Lanka, through you I have learned a lot about different cultures, probably even more than what can be read from books. Our regular conversations have made me more appreciative of the richness and diversity of your countries. I hope that you have also gained a better understanding of Filipinos and of the Philippines. My sweets may have reached your shores first but I am hopeful that I will all get to meet you someday. Thank you for sharing your language too. Do keep in touch! Terima kasih. Isthuthee. Salamat. Thank you.

To friends and acquaintances whose paths I have crossed with, it’s been a pleasure knowing and working with like-minded individuals. I have thrived for three years because of your willingness to reciprocate the warmth and friendship that I have freely extended.

I still find it surreal that I am writing this now. I am leaving HSBC as a Senior Chargeback Analyst (It seems that I always end up a Senior Analyst…hehe). I am proud of what I have achieved but I am even happier that I have made many friends both inside and outside the bank. I will always be proud and happy to be known as Chargeback Roma.

In the zodiac, Scorpio (my sign) is considered the sign of transformation. Like a phoenix, I must heed the call to transform. Many have asked my feelings regarding this big change. I am a bit frightened but I only have to think of the good words and warm wishes that you have all offered. Excuse me while I make yet another leap into the fire. It is my fervent hope that I will again rise from the ashes, find my wings and soar to greater heights.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great work.

Anonymous said...

t's such a tickety-boo site. cool, extraordinarily intriguing!!!

-------

[url=http://oponymozgowe.pl]Opony Mozgowe[/url]
[url=http://pozycjonowanie.lagata.pl]Pozycjonowanie[/url]

[url=http://www.strongers.com/zdrowie,i,uroda/opony,s,4205/]opony[/url]